Legion (Google Streetview)
Kamsack Branch 24 of the Royal Canadian Legion, located at 324 Second Street, was declared first a municipal and then a provincial heritage property.
The building was constructed in 1908 by former Kamsack Mayor H. Harvey, a businessman who operated a hardware store in the building which is currently occupied by Home Hardware. Harvey sold the house to the Legion Branch in 1946 for $7,500.00.
The three storey building which was made of hardwood was renovated into suites where serviceman returning from overseas lived with their families as they waited for their “wartime” house to be built. The building was renovated in 1972 and then again in 1981 to accommodate the needs of the Legion members.
Today the Legion Hall is used to host social events for both Legion and community events. There are approximately 175 members in the branch, and there are still three WWII veterans on the executive.